The Indy Fuel announced Friday the addition of two players – forward Matt Johnson and defenseman Anthony Cortese.
Johnson will be entering his second full pro season after playing 43 games for the Greenville Swamp Rabbits in 2016-17. He had six goals and 10 assists. He was a consistent 40-point scorer in junior hockey in the NAHL before playing a primarily checking role in three years at Lake Superior State University.
He brings size to the Fuel frontline at 6-1, 204.
Cortese is a right-shot defenseman who has played the last two seasons at Concordia University in Canada. He had a goal and 17 assists in 28 games last season. Prior to playing Canadian college hockey, he played four seasons of Major Junior in the QMJHL – tallying 33 points in 68 games in 2013-14 – and one year in the NAHL with Corpus Christi, where he had 51 points in 59 games. He is the first rookie to sign with the team.
The signings give the Fuel five forwards and two defensemen under contract for the 2017-18 season. Of the seven players, four are newcomers.
- Nick Bligh (6-0, 185, Milton, Mass.). Age: 24. Shoots: R. 2016-17 team: South Carolina Stingrays/Adirondack Thunder/Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Matt Johnson (6-1, 204, Clinton Township, Mich.). Age: 26. Shoots: L. 2016-17 team: Greenville Swamp Rabbits (ECHL)
- Matt Rupert (5-8, 175, London, Ont.). Age: 23. Shoots: L. 2016-17 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Ryan Rupert (5-8, 173, London, Ont.). Age: 23 Shoots: L. 2016-17 team: Binghamton Senators (AHL)/Wichita Thunder (ECHL)
- Andrew Schmit (6-5, 220, Grafton, Wis.). Age: 25. Shoots: R. 2016-17 team: Pensacola Ice Flyers (SPHL)
- (R) Anthony Cortese (5-11, 185, Pierrefonds, Que.). Age: 23. Shoots: R. 2016-17 team: Concordia University (OUAA)
- Chris Williams (6-2, 220, Pottstown, Pa.). Age: 26. Shoots: R. 2016-17 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)