Game 8: Fuel vs. Quad City

It’s only a matter of time for the Indy Fuel.

A solid defensive effort, a rebound goal off a face-off and an offense that launched 40 shots at the Quad City net gave the Fuel one of their stronger performances of the young season Saturday night.

But, with the game tied in the third period, the Fuel fell victim to a couple of unfortunate breaks, which the visiting Mallards cashed in en route to a 4-1 victory over Indy at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum.

Defenseman Nick Mattson (4) positions himself to break up a play Saturday against Quad City.

Defenseman Nick Mattson (4) positions himself to break up a play Saturday against Quad City’s Mike Wilson (3) and Justin Kovacs (10). Photo by Whiteshark Photography

Midway through the third, with the Fuel pressuring the Mallards’ net, Nick Mattson was loading up to take a shot from the point, but his stick exploded as he wound up, leading to a breakaway the other way. It was soon followed up with the game-winner – a point shot from Alex Gudbranson that found its way through traffic exactly halfway trough the third period. Later in the period, a puck pinballed off Alex Petan’s leg and in to give the Mallards a 3-1 edge, a goal that was granted after a long discussion by the officials, as the Fuel contended the puck was kicked into the net.

“When things aren’t going the right way, you tend to not get the bounces. Tonight’s an example of that. We’ve got pressure, we have a broken stick, a couple plays later, it’s in the net,” Fuel forward Kevin Lynch said. “If those don’t count, we still have momentum. I thought we were getting better chances than they were. That’s the way it goes sometimes.”

Indy is now 2-5-1 on the season, and will head north next week for three games against the Alaska Aces.

Indy outshot Quad City 40-32, including launching 18 shots in the third period and carrying much of the play, but the Mallards’ C.J. Motte stopped 39 shots.

“We liked our first two periods,” Lynch said. “In the third, we wanted to continue that momentum. I think we were doing a great job of that – we put 40 shots on net. Anytime you’re doing that, you’re playing good hockey. We had some costly turnovers. Every team goes through this – the little rut in the season – whether it’s the beginning, middle or end. Unfortunately, we’re going through it now. We’ve got the guys in the locker room to pull us out of it. We just need to stay focused, continue the good, eliminate the bad and go into next week.”

The contest was physical and featured strong defensive play by both teams, who were largely successful at keeping the net-front area clear, keeping play to the outside and preventing odd-man rushes and rebound chances. With opportunities at a premium, a break – such as a shattered stick – can be the difference.

“We’ve been preaching the back check, back pressure, really preaching keeping your sticks on the ice at all times, sticks on pucks,” said Fuel coach Bernie John, who called Friday’s effort one of the Fuel’s better defensive games. “That’s been our focus the last week. Guys bought in. We’ve had a really good (third forward). Defensively, we’re getting a lot better.”

The game-winner came as the Fuel had been buzzing and had multiple long zone entries. Sam Warning corralled the puck and went on a breakaway, but Fuel netminder Eric Levine stopped it and made a diving save on a rebound, but Quad City was able to keep the pressure on and cycle the puck back to Gudbranson at the center point for the goal.

On the next shift, Mattson and Lynch nearly knotted the game – with the Fuel blueliner firing a point shot right to Lynch’s stick in front of the net, who deflected it upward. Motte made a positional stop, but the Fuel pounced on the rebound and forced the Mallards’ netminder to stop a spinning shot from the low slot.

Fuel goaltender Eric Levine stops a shot during Saturday's game against Quad City.

Fuel goaltender Eric Levine stops a shot during Saturday’s game against Quad City as Bryn Chyzyk (18) and the Mallards’ Pavel Jenys (24) move in. Photo by Whiteshark Photography.

Petan’s late insurance goal gave the Mallards a cushion, and Chris Francis sealed it with an empty-netter.

Chances were few in the opening period, but Indy came out flying in the second and forced Motte to make his two best saves of the night. The first came 80 seconds into the period, when Patrick D’Amico pulled the puck off the end boards and tried to stuff it. It did trickle through Motte, but was swept off the line. Thirty seconds later, Motte made a diving save on Bryn Chyzyk alone in front, and then smothered the rebound. Indy had another chance with Tyler Currier jamming at a rebound on the doorstep midway through the second, but the Mallards’ netminder covered it.

Quad City finally broke the ice with 4:07 left in the second. After a strong pad save by Levine on Petan cutting in front, Petan got his own rebound and one-timed it into the net while falling down.

But the Fuel tied things up by the end of the period, drawing a penalty with 15.3 seconds left. Lynch won the draw and the puck came to Matt Stanisz at the left point. His shot deflected to Lynch at the far post, and he jammed it into the open side.

“We were trying to get the puck to their goalie, get guys to the front and get rebounds,” Lynch said, noting that happened on his goal, as he scored on a rebounded point shot. “I don’t think we got as many guys to the front of the net as we would’ve liked, but that’s something to keep building on. The more we do that, hopefully, we score a lot of goals.”

It marked the third time in four games the Fuel have scored on the power play, and was Lynch’s second goal of the season.

While the Fuel are looking to snap a six-game winless streak, they’re pleased with the continued growth of a newly-put-together team, and anticipate the improvement on defense and more chemistry will turn close losses into close victories.

“Other than Cody (Sharib) tonight, everybody’s new,” John said. “A lot of people don’t understand that. (Quad City) has got a lot of new guys, too, but the Fort Wayne team we played last night had nine guys back. It makes a big difference when you have that continuity, you know where guys are.”

“It’s early and we don’t want to lose points, it’s a matter of figuring yourselves out,” John added. “You want to play well, and we’re playing good hockey. It would be different if we were playing badly and not getting opportunities. It’s just a matter of time before we start getting the bounces.”

The next stop is with their three-game Alaska trip. It’ll be the Fuel’s first trip to Anchorage since playing two preseason games there in 2014.

“It’ll be good to get away, spend some time together,” John said. “We’ll get to play on Olympic-sized ice and we’ve got some guys that can fly. We’ll try to get the first one and build from there.”

Boxscore

Three stars

1. Alex Petan (QC) 2G, +3, 6 shots
  2. C.J. Motte (QC) 39 saves
  3. Kevin Lynch (Fuel) G, 6 shots

Takeaways

1. Forward Cody Sharib made his return to the Fuel lineup – playing his first game since leaving the Oct. 14 season opener with an injury. He immediately made his presence felt – laying a big hit on the forecheck on his first shift. He skated in a number of situations as the 10th forward, killed penalties and had one shot. “It’s always good to have him,” John said. “He’s the type of player we don’t have a lot of – he’s your prototypical power forward. We’ve got a few guys who can do that, but not the way he does.”
  2. The line of Alex Wideman-Kevin Lynch-Evan Mosey was again strong, combining for 15 shots. Lynch had the goal – which came on the PP – but they were a solid combination of speed and size to generate a number of high-quality scoring chances. “As a line, we played well tonight, but we still want to do more for the team,” Lynch said. “We need to come back this week, work harder, stay focused and hopefully the bounces turn in our favor next week.”
  3. Mosey made his Fuel and ECHL debut Friday night. He signed with Rockford in the offseason after playing three years in Europe. “He’s got the speed, he’s got American (Hockey) League speed. He was playing really good (in Rockford), too, but it’s a numbers game. They thought, ‘let’s get him ice time.’ I thought that line was good – they created some chances. They’ll get more comfortable with each other.”
  4.  The game saw some early choppiness, as Matt Stanisz and Garrett Arnold scrapped just 4:22 into the game. Stainsz recorded a takedown in that bout. Later, the Fuel’s Brady Ramsay went toe-to-toe with 6-foot-3 Mallards defenseman Mike Monfredo.
  5. The Fuel PP was 1-for-3, scoring a goal for the third time in four games. The PK was also a perfect 4-for-4. The Indy PK is now a perfect 9-for-9 at home.
  6. Next week’s trip to Alaska gives the Fuel a week to not just play three games, but have the opportunity to come closer as a team. After an early Tuesday practice, they plan to spend a day to themselves away from the ice. “Anytime you’re on the road for a week, you really get to gel as a team,” Lynch said. “You’re with each other for every meal, every team event. We’ll continue to make this team gel and come closer together. We need to find a way to get Ws.”
  7. Stanisz’s assist on Lynch’s goal was his first point of the season, while Schiestel had his second point of the year. Lynch now has two goals and four assists, his six points tying Alex Wideman for the team lead.
  8. The 40 shots marked the second time in three games the Fuel had launched that number. Against Allen last Saturday, Indy had a season-high 43 shots.
  9. Quad City’s victory was its first in the Indiana Farmers Coliseum. The Fuel won 7 of the 10 meetings last season and swept all five home meetings. Quad City has now won five of its last six games.
  10. Levine continues to play well in net, despite being 0-3-0. He has a .924 save percentage and 2.71 goals against average in three starts. He had back-to-back starts this weekend.

Lineup

Alex Wideman-Kevin Lynch-Evan Mosey
Marek Tvrdon-Bryn Chyzyk-Tyler Currier
Matt Rupert-Patrick D’Amico-Brady Ramsay
Cody Sharib

Nick Mattson-Jonathan Carlsson
Drew Schiette-Chris Williams
Randy Cure-Matt Stanisz

Eric Levine
BU: Jake Hildebrand

Scratches: Anthony Beauregard, Raphael Corriveau, Martin Bellus, Dillon Fournier, Zach Miskovic (IR), Paxton Leroux (IR)

Roster move: The Fuel received forward Evan Mosey from Rockford earlier Saturday.

Next up: The Fuel travel to Alaska for games Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. The games will all face-off at 7:15 p.m. Alaska Standard Time, which will be shortly after midnight in Indiana. Indy returns home Nov. 18 to face Wheeling, and then will host Atlanta the following two days.

52 Responses

1. The subsequent time I read a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I do know it was my choice to learn, however I really thought youd have something attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could possibly fix if you werent too busy in search of attention.

2. fila says:

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write extra on this topic, it may not be a taboo subject but usually persons are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

3. nmd says:

I would like to show some appreciation to this writer for bailing me out of this trouble. Just after checking throughout the world-wide-web and coming across things which are not beneficial, I thought my entire life was over. Existing devoid of the approaches to the issues you’ve fixed by means of the article content is a crucial case, as well as the kind that might have negatively affected my entire career if I had not noticed your site. Your own training and kindness in playing with almost everything was tremendous. I’m not sure what I would have done if I had not come upon such a subject like this. I am able to at this moment look ahead to my future. Thank you very much for this impressive and results-oriented guide. I won’t think twice to propose your web site to anybody who should have guidance on this area.

4. It抯 arduous to search out educated folks on this subject, but you sound like you already know what you抮e speaking about! Thanks

5. What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & assist other users like its helped me. Great job.

6. nmd says:

I must show some appreciation to you just for rescuing me from this dilemma. Right after browsing through the online world and meeting proposals that were not pleasant, I assumed my entire life was done. Existing minus the approaches to the issues you’ve fixed as a result of your good write-up is a serious case, as well as the ones which may have negatively affected my career if I hadn’t discovered your blog post. Your primary mastery and kindness in touching all the things was precious. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t discovered such a step like this. It’s possible to at this time look forward to my future. Thanks for your time very much for your skilled and result oriented guide. I won’t hesitate to endorse your web page to any individual who wants and needs guide on this situation.

7. lebron shoes says:

Aw, this was a very nice post. In concept I want to put in writing like this additionally ?taking time and actual effort to make a very good article?but what can I say?I procrastinate alot and on no account seem to get one thing done.

8. Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!?

9. foamposites says:

I抎 have to examine with you here. Which is not one thing I often do! I take pleasure in reading a publish that can make folks think. Additionally, thanks for allowing me to remark!

10. There may be noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made sure nice factors in options also.

11. I intended to write you a very small note so as to say thank you as before just for the great opinions you have contributed here. This has been quite surprisingly generous of people like you to deliver unhampered what exactly most people would’ve supplied as an ebook to earn some profit on their own, and in particular considering that you might have tried it if you decided. These creative ideas as well worked to be a fantastic way to fully grasp many people have the same zeal like mine to find out great deal more with reference to this issue. I’m certain there are several more pleasant sessions up front for individuals that go through your website.

12. Would you be excited about exchanging hyperlinks?

13. michael kors says:

There may be noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made sure nice points in features also.

14. Your house is valueble for me. Thanks!?

15. yeezy shoes says:

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!?

16. kyrie 3 says:

This is the best blog for anyone who wants to seek out out about this topic. You understand so much its virtually exhausting to argue with you (not that I really would need匟aHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, just great!

17. ultra boost says:

I’m just commenting to make you understand what a helpful experience my friend’s girl gained going through the blog. She came to find several things, including what it is like to possess an excellent helping mindset to get certain people effortlessly know precisely selected complex subject areas. You undoubtedly exceeded readers’ desires. Thank you for producing the precious, healthy, edifying not to mention easy thoughts on the topic to Jane.

18. It抯 hard to search out educated people on this topic, however you sound like you already know what you抮e talking about! Thanks

19. An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit of analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If possible, as you change into experience, would you thoughts updating your blog with more details? It is highly useful for me. Big thumb up for this weblog publish!

20. Can I just say what a relief to seek out somebody who truly knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know the way to bring an issue to light and make it important. Extra individuals must learn this and perceive this aspect of the story. I cant consider youre not more common since you positively have the gift.

21. There are definitely a number of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a nice point to carry up. I provide the thoughts above as general inspiration however clearly there are questions like the one you bring up the place the most important thing shall be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged round things like that, however I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both girls and boys really feel the impression of only a second抯 pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

22. yeezy shoes says:

Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you’ll be able to take away me from that service? Thanks!

23. There are some attention-grabbing points in time in this article but I don抰 know if I see all of them heart to heart. There may be some validity however I will take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish more! Added to FeedBurner as well

24. I抦 impressed, I need to say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that抯 both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you could have hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough individuals are talking intelligently about. I am very comfortable that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for one thing referring to this.

25. This actually answered my drawback, thanks!

26. Hiya! I simply would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great information you have got here on this post. I might be coming again to your weblog for extra soon.

27. There are certainly a variety of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a great level to convey up. I offer the ideas above as basic inspiration however clearly there are questions like the one you carry up where an important thing will probably be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged round things like that, however I am certain that your job is clearly identified as a good game. Both boys and girls really feel the influence of just a second抯 pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

28. bape hoodie says:

Would you be interested in exchanging links?

29. adidas nmd says:

I’m also commenting to let you be aware of of the really good experience my cousin’s child encountered visiting yuor web blog. She came to understand so many issues, most notably what it’s like to have an amazing coaching mindset to let others just know certain impossible issues. You actually exceeded her expected results. Many thanks for supplying these beneficial, trusted, edifying as well as fun tips about this topic to Lizeth.

30. This web site is known as a walk-by for all the info you needed about this and didn抰 know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and you抣l definitely uncover it.

31. Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I am experiencing difficulty with ur rss . Don抰 know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting identical rss problem? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

32. I conceive this web site has some real superb information for everyone : D.

33. I抎 should verify with you here. Which isn’t one thing I normally do! I take pleasure in reading a submit that can make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

34. 해외축구예상《《 Mir101.COM【카톡:Pro9999】 》》 해외구매율사다리토토 하키배당 사설토토-http://www.mir101.com/ 사설토토-http://nave88.com/ 사설토토-http://www.mir101.com/ 사설토토-http://nave88.com/

35. 안전한토토추천인(>→Mir101.COM 카톡:Come99←<) 스포츠토토추천 사다리사이트 토토사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 토토사이트-http://nave88.com/ 토토사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 토토사이트-http://nave88.com/

36. 일본지방경마(>→Mir101.COM 카톡:Come99←<) 일본오이경마장 토토사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 토토사이트-http://nave88.com/ 토토사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 토토사이트-http://nave88.com/

37. 오늘축구중계시간(>→Mir101.COM 카톡:Come99←<) 프로토확률 축구승무패당첨금 메이저놀이터-http://www.mir101.com/ 메이저놀이터-http://nave88.com/ 메이저놀이터-http://www.mir101.com/ 메이저놀이터-http://nave88.com/

38. 야구사이트(>→Mir101.COM 카톡:Come99←<) 야구사이트추천 야구추천사이트 토토사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 토토사이트-http://nave88.com/ 토토사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 토토사이트-http://nave88.com/

39. Chris Keltt says:

프로야구예측(>→Mir101.COM 카톡:Come99←<) 야구스페샬 온라인스포츠토토 안전놀이터-http://www.mir101.com/ 안전놀이터-http://nave88.com/ 안전놀이터-http://www.mir101.com/ 안전놀이터-http://nave88.com/

40. 네임드달팽이( >→mir101.COM 카톡pro9999←< ) 해외유료픽 축구유료픽 사설토토-http://www.mir101.com/ 사설토토-http://nave88.com/ 사설토토-http://www.mir101.com/ 사설토토-http://nave88.com/

41. 온라인카지노사이트( >→mir101.COM 카톡pro9999←< ) 온라인카지노 다리다리양방 카지노사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 카지노사이트-http://nave88.com/ 카지노사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 카지노사이트-http://nave88.com/

42. 안전토토추천인( >→mir101.COM 카톡pro9999←< ) 스포츠토토추천인 알라딘사다리 토토사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 토토사이트-http://nave88.com/ 토토사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 토토사이트-http://nave88.com/

43. 실시간중계% ⦅†† mir101、com 카톡pro9999††⦆ %토토사이트 인터넷베팅 사설토토-http://www.mir101.com/ 사설토토-http://nave88.com/ 사설토토-http://www.mir101.com/ 사설토토-http://nave88.com/

44. 야구모바일게임 kbo토토% ⦅†† mir101、com 카톡pro9999††⦆ %MLB해외배당 토토사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 토토사이트-http://nave88.com/ 토토사이트-http://www.mir101.com/ 토토사이트-http://nave88.com/

45. 챔피언스리그예상% ⦅†† mir101、com 카톡pro9999††⦆ %토토매치 축구승무패계산 메이저놀이터-http://www.mir101.com/ 메이저놀이터-http://nave88.com/ 메이저놀이터-http://www.mir101.com/ 메이저놀이터-http://nave88.com/

46. 여자배구분석《\》mir101.COM 카톡CoME99 《\》 케이리그분석 축구홈페이지 안전놀이터-http://www.mir101.com/ 안전놀이터-http://nave88.com/ 안전놀이터-http://www.mir101.com/ 안전놀이터-http://nave88.com/

47. Darwin Dyll says:

와이즈토토분석→%← mir101.COM 카톡pRo9999→%← 토토싸이트추천 축구매치배당률 안전놀이터-http://www.mir101.com/ 안전놀이터-http://nave88.com/ 안전놀이터-http://www.mir101.com/ 안전놀이터-http://nave88.com/

48. I wanted to draft you a bit of remark in order to thank you so much as before for all the superb things you have discussed at this time. It was wonderfully open-handed of people like you to make easily all many people would have made available for an electronic book in order to make some dough on their own, most importantly since you could have tried it in case you wanted. These ideas likewise worked like a great way to comprehend the rest have a similar passion like my own to see much more on the subject of this condition. I am sure there are thousands of more pleasant times up front for many who examine your website.

49. I precisely desired to appreciate you yet again. I am not sure the things I could possibly have carried out in the absence of the concepts contributed by you directly on my area of interest. It previously was a frightful scenario in my view, nevertheless discovering the expert tactic you dealt with that made me to cry over fulfillment. I will be grateful for your information and as well , expect you know what a great job you have been carrying out training the mediocre ones through the use of your web site. I am certain you have never come across all of us.

50. 토토배당률보기≫≪mir101.COM ∽카톡pRo9999≫≪ 축구경기방식 토토축구매치 사설토토-http://www.mir101.com/ 사설토토-http://nave88.com/ 사설토토-http://www.mir101.com/ 사설토토-http://nave88.com/

51. I enjoy you because of your whole hard work on this web page. My daughter loves getting into internet research and it is simple to grasp why. Many of us know all concerning the powerful way you convey sensible strategies through your blog and improve participation from other people on this theme so our favorite princess is actually being taught a lot of things. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the year. You’re the one carrying out a fantastic job.

52. I have to get across my respect for your kind-heartedness for those people who actually need guidance on the content. Your real commitment to passing the solution along had been extraordinarily practical and have constantly permitted ladies just like me to attain their ambitions. Your entire informative information indicates a great deal to me and further more to my office colleagues. Many thanks; from each one of us.