The Indy Fuel continued to prepare for Friday’s ECHL season opener by releasing several tryout players after Saturday’s game.
The Fuel also added five players to the training camp roster – including three assigned by AHL Rockford on Saturday.
The five players added had been announced earlier in the week. Patrick D’Amico was acquired Saturday in a trade from the Atlanta Gladiators for the rights to unsigned defender Ben Marshall, and defender Drew Schiestel was signed to a tryout offer earlier in the week.
In addition, Rockford assigned goaltender Jake Hildebrand and defensemen Jonathan Carlsson and Nick Mattson.
Meanwhile, the Fuel released defensemen Rich Ledy and Bo Driscoll, as well as forwards Alec Hagaman, Jeff Jones and Nick D’Avolio from their professional tryout offers.
D’Amico tallied 15 goals and nine assists in 67 games for the Colorado Eagles and Atlanta Gladiators last season. He was a 20-goal scorer in his final year of junior with the WHL’s Regina Pats in 2014-15. Schiestel is a veteran defenseman who played the last two years in Germany and Denmark, but had primarily played his first five pro seasons in the AHL. He was a 2007 second-round pick of the Buffalo Sabres.
Carlsson was a sixth-round pick of the Blackhawks in 2008 who returned to North America last season after playing several years in Sweden. He had five points in 46 games for ECHL Evansville and nine points in 25 games for Rockford. Mattson will be in his second season with the Fuel. He had 15 points in 48 games a year ago, as well as seven points in 17 games with Rockford. Mattson played four years at North Dakota, and was a sixth-round Blackhawks pick in 2010. In 2011, he was USHL Defenseman of the Year with the Indiana Ice. Finally, Hildebrand gives the Fuel two goaltenders from the organization, joining Eric Levine. He played four years at Michigan State, finishing his career last spring. He then signed with Allen and played six games for the Americans, serving as one of the team’s two netminders en route to a Kelly Cup title.
The Fuel now have 24 players – 13 forwards, eight defensemen and three goaltenders on the roster. The Fuel can carry 21 players on the active roster by Friday’s season opener, as well as two players on reserve. After a month, they will have to trim the roster by one player.
Training camp roster
- (R) Anthony Beauregard (5-11, 163, St. Hyancithe, Quebec). Age: 20. Shoots: R. 2015-16: Val d’Or (QMJHL)
- Martin Bellus (6-3, 209, Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia). Age: 24. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Piestany SHK 37 (Slovakia)
- Michael Colantone (5-11, 205, Brooklyn, N.Y.). Age: 24. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: UMass-Lowell (NCAA)/Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Raphael Corriveau (6-4, 203, Levis, Quebec). Age: 22. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Morzine-Avoriaz (France)
- Tyler Currier (6-2, 206, Anchorage, Ak.). Age: 28. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Elmira Jackals (ECHL)
- Patrick D’Amico (6-0, 211, Winnipeg, Man.). Age: 21. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Colorado Eagles/Atlanta Gladiators (ECHL)
- (R) Christian Finch (F/D) (6-0, 185, Claremont, Ont.). Age: 25. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: University of Toronto (CIS)/Alaska Aces (ECHL)
- (R) Justin Hussar (6-2, 190, Lancaster, N.Y.). Age: 23. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Merrimack (NCAA)/Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Kevin Lynch (6-1, 205, Grosse Pointe, Mich.). Age: 25. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Florida Everblades (ECHL)
- Matt Rupert (5-9, 188, Grand Bend, Ont.). Age: 22. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Orlando Solar Bears (ECHL)
- Cody Sharib (6-2, 209, Needham, Mass). Age: 25. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Marek Tvrdon (6-2, 217, Bratislava, Slovakia). Age: 23. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Toledo Walleye (ECHL)/Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL)/Bratislava Slovan (KHL)
- Alex Wideman (5-7, 150, St. Louis, Mo.). Age: 24. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Evansville IceMen (ECHL)/Binghamton Senators (AHL)
- (RFD, V) Jonathan Carlsson (6-1, 198, Uppsala, Sweden). Age: 28. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Evansville IceMen (ECHL)/Rockford IceHogs (AHL)
- Randy Cure (6-3, 205, Bloomington, Minn.). Age: 26: Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Fort Wayne Komets/Tulsa Oilers (ECHL)
- (RFD) Nick Mattson (6-1, 179, Chanhassen, Minn.). Age: 24. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)/Rockford IceHogs (AHL)
- (V) Zach Miskovic (6-1, 197, River Forest, Ill.). Age: 31. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)/Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
- Kyle Shapiro (6-2, 200, Ambler, Pa.). Age: 26. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Columbus Cottonmouths (SPHL)
- Matt Stanisz (6-1, 205, Burlington, Ont.). Age: 26. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Florida Everblades (ECHL)
- (T, R) Griffin Foulk (6-0, 193, Broomfield, Co.). Age: 21. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Fargo Force (USHL)
- (T, V) Drew Schiestel (6-2, 193, Hamilton, Ont.). Age: 27. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Rungstad (Denmark)
- Keegan Asmundson (6-5, 222, Inver Grove Heights, Minn.). Age: 25. Catches: L. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- (RFD, R) Jake Hildebrand (5-11, 182, Butler, Pa.). Age: 23. Catches: L. 2015-16 team: Michigan State (NCAA)/Allen Americans (ECHL)
- (RFD) Eric Levine (6-3, 185, Wheeling, Ill.). Age: 27. Catches: L. 2015-16 team: Utah/Colorado (ECHL), Pensacola/Louisiana (SPHL)
V-Veteran (>260 professional games played)
R-Rookie (<25 professional games played)
RFD-Under contract to AHL Rockford IceHogs