The Indy Fuel announced the signing of a familiar face in winger Alex Wideman, as well as Raphael Corriveau.
Wideman played with the Binghamton Senators and Evansville IceMen last season, tallying 15 goals and 24 assists in 58 ECHL games with Evansville. He has also played 11 AHL games in Binghamton since concluding his collegiate career at Miami University in 2015. Wideman returns to Indy, as he played two seasons for the USHL’s Indiana Ice, where he had 15 goals and 36 assists. He had 24 goals and 32 assists at Miami from 2011-15.
Wideman becomes the fifth player who played junior hockey in Indianapolis for the Indiana Ice to suit up for the Fuel, joining former Fuel players Peter Schneider, Cody Reichard, Nick Mattson and Patrick Cullen.
He brings the Fuel a lot of speed and goal-scoring ability, helping pace coach Bernie John’s skating and transition game. The St. Louis native stands 5-7, 150, and is a left-handed shot who can play both wings.
“We’re excited to add Alex to our team. He is one of the speediest players in the league and that fits right in to the type of hockey we want to play,” John said in a team release. “He puts a lot of pressure on defenseman with his speed to create turnovers so we can have the puck more. He has really good offensive ability to put the puck in the net and make some creative hockey plays. We expect Alex to put up good offensive numbers for our team.”
Corriveau played his rookie season in France last year, where he had eight points in 23 games for Morzine-Avoriaz. He played four full seasons of Major Junior in the QMJHL, where he had 60 goals, 53 assists and 332 penalty minutes in 253 games from 2011-15. The 22-year-old right wing brings a lot of size and strength, at 6-4, 203.
“Raphaël is a big kid that plays a hard nosed game. We want be able to add skill to our team but we also want to add some size. He brings both,” John said in the release. “He put up very good numbers at a high level in the QMJHL. We look for Raphaël to add some toughness as well as a touch of scoring to our lineup.”
The signings give the Fuel eight forwards, two defensemen and two goaltenders under contract for the 2016-17 season. The team can have up to 30 players in training camp, and may carry 21 skaters on the opening-night roster, plus two players on reserve.
Wideman scores an OT winner for Miami.
Wideman cuts through four Waterloo players to score as a junior.
Corriveau’s physical play leading to a bout in the QMJHL.
2016-17 Fuel roster
- (R) Anthony Beauregard (5-11, 163, St. Hyancithe, Quebec). Age: 20. Shoots: R. 2015-16: Val d’Or (QMJHL)
- Martin Bellus (6-3, 209, Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia). Age: 24. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Piestany SHK 37 (Slovakia)
- Raphael Corriveau (6-4, 203, Levis, Quebec). Age: 22. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Morzine-Avoriaz (France)
- Tyler Currier (6-2, 206, Anchorage, Ak.). Age: 28. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Elmira Jackals (ECHL)
- (R) Justin Hussar (6-2, 190, Lancaster, N.Y.). Age: 23. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Merrimack (NCAA)/Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Kevin Lynch (6-1, 205, Grosse Pointe, Mich.). Age: 25. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Florida Everblades (ECHL)
- Cody Sharib (6-2, 209, Needham, Mass). Age: 25. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Alex Wideman (5-7, 150, St. Louis, Mo.). Age: 24. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Evansville IceMen (ECHL)/Binghamton Senators (AHL)
- (V) Zach Miskovic 6-1, 197, River Forest, Ill.). Age: 31. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)/Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
- Matt Stanisz (6-1, 205, Burlington, Ont.). Age: 26. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Florida Everblades (ECHL)
- Keegan Asmundson (6-5, 222, Inver Grove Heights, Minn.). Age: 25. Catches: L. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Terry Shafer (6-2, 190, Penfield, NY). Age: 25. Catches: L. 2015-16 team: Robert Morris (NCAA)/Indy Fuel (ECHL)
2015-16 end-of-season roster players who have signed elsewhere/been traded
- Anders Franzon (Sheffield, Britain); Patrick Koudys (Rouen, France); Matt White (Sheffield, Britain); Rhett Bly (Grenoble, France); Peter Schneider (Florida Everblades); Kevin Clare (Florida Everblades)
2015-16 end-of-season roster players whose plans have yet to be announced (players with qualifying offers are denoted)
- Michael Colantone (QO), Rob De Fulviis, Darian Dziurzynski (QO), Alex Lavoie (QO), Colin Murray, Mikhail Stefanovich (QO), Trevor Campbell, Ben Marshall (QO), Nick Petrecki (QO)