Zach Miskovic, the second captain in Indy Fuel history, is returning to the team for a second season.
Miskovic is a veteran who wore the “C” for the Fuel in 2015-16, and will do so again this year. He will also add another title to his duties, as he will become a player-assistant coach. He had nine goals and 13 assists in 63 games for the Fuel last season, while also tallying four assists in seven AHL games with the Charlotte Checkers.
Miskovic will be entering his eighth full pro season. The first seven were primarily spent in the AHL, where he played for Hershey, Chicago, San Antonio, Rockford and Iowa.
In 356 professional games – 69 in the ECHL and 287 in the AHL – the blueliner has 33 goals and 76 assists, as well as a +35 rating. He also played four years of college hockey at St. Lawrence from 2005-09. Miskovic is a 31-year-old native of River Forest, Ill.
“Last summer I was excited to come to Indianapolis and my expectations were exceeded – I got to experience the city and played in front of great crowds. For my family, getting back to Indy was our top priority,” Miskovic said in a team release. “Indy is a great city. The hockey is great, the fans have been wonderful, and we are really pleased to be able to head back for this season.”
Miskovic becomes the 10th player signed for 2016-17, and the second defenseman. He is the first veteran to sign with the team. The ECHL allows teams to sign up to four veterans (players with at least 260 games of professional experience).
2016-17 Fuel roster
- (R) Anthony Beauregard (5-11, 163, St. Hyancithe, Quebec). Age: 20. Shoots: R. 2015-16: Val d’Or (QMJHL)
- Martin Bellus (6-3, 209, Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia). Age: 24. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Piestany SHK 37 (Slovakia)
- Tyler Currier (6-2, 206, Anchorage, Ak.). Age: 28. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Elmira Jackals (ECHL)
- (R) Justin Hussar (6-2, 190, Lancaster, N.Y.). Age: 23. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Merrimack (NCAA)/Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Kevin Lynch (6-1, 205, Grosse Pointe, Mich.). Age: 25. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Florida Everblades (ECHL)
- Cody Sharib (6-2, 209, Needham, Mass). Age: 25. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- (V) Zach Miskovic 6-1, 197, River Forest, Ill.). Age: 31. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)/Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
- Matt Stanisz (6-1, 205, Burlington, Ont.). Age: 26. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Florida Everblades (ECHL)
- Keegan Asmundson (6-5, 222, Inver Grove Heights, Minn.). Age: 25. Catches: L. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Terry Shafer (6-2, 190, Penfield, NY). Age: 25. Catches: L. 2015-16 team: Robert Morris (NCAA)/Indy Fuel (ECHL)
2015-16 end-of-season roster players who have signed elsewhere/been traded
- Anders Franzon (Sheffield, Britain); Patrick Koudys (Rouen, France); Matt White (Sheffield, Britain); Rhett Bly (Grenoble, France); Peter Schneider (Florida Everblades); Kevin Clare (Florida Everblades)
2015-16 end-of-season roster players whose plans have yet to be announced (players with qualifying offers are denoted)
- Michael Colantone (QO), Rob De Fulviis, Darian Dziurzynski (QO), Alex Lavoie (QO), Colin Murray, Mikhail Stefanovich (QO), Trevor Campbell, Ben Marshall (QO), Nick Petrecki (QO)