The Indy Fuel announced two more signings Tuesday, re-signing rookie goaltender Terry Shafer and adding rookie center Anthony Beauregard.
Shafer made his pro debut with the Fuel this past spring, signing with the team out of Robert Morris University. He had a 3.84 GAA in three games at the end of the season. That came after an outstanding college career, where he had a 43-30-11 record, 2.67 GAA and .920 save percentage over four seasons. He had a 19-10-2 mark and a .927 save percentage in 2015-16 as a senior, posting four shutouts. His .927 save percentage was 15th-best in the country.
Shafer is RMU’s all-time leader in wins, shutouts and GAA. He was a third-team All-Atlantic Hockey selection this past spring, and was the AHA’s goaltender of the week three times.
Shafer is a 25-year-old native of Penfield, NY, and is the second goaltender to sign with the Fuel, joining Keegan Asmundson.
Beauregard comes to Indy after a big junior career at Val d’Or in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. This past season, he had 30 goals and 63 assists in 67 games, tied for fifth in the QMJHL in points and third in assists. He was a QMJHL Second-Team All-Star, behind Carolina Hurricanes draft pick Nicolas Roy.
It was his second-straight high-scoring season, as he had 29 goals and 87 points in 2014-15. For his major junior career, Beauregard has 69 goals, 154 assists, 223 points, 138 PIMs and is a +51 over 207 games. Ge also has 31 points in 47 career playoff games. He won a QMJHL title with Val d’Or in 2014. Beauregard is a 5-11, 163-pound right-shot center, who will be among the youngest players on the Fuel, as he’ll be a month away from his 21st birthday on Opening Night.
The Beauregard signing gives the Fuel another offensive weapon, to go along with 20-goal scorers Kevin Lynch and Tyler Currier, as well as the Fuel’s leading goal scorer from last season, Cody Sharib.
The signings give the Fuel six forwards, one defenseman and two goaltenders under contract for 2016-17.
2016-17 Fuel roster
- (R) Anthony Beauregard (5-11, 163, St. Hyancithe, Quebec). Age: 20. Shoots: R. 2015-16: Val d’Or (QMJHL)
- Martin Bellus (6-3, 209, Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia). Age: 24. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Piestany SHK 37 (Slovakia)
- Tyler Currier (6-2, 206, Anchorage, Ak.). Age: 28. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Elmira Jackals (ECHL)
- (R) Justin Hussar (6-2, 190, Lancaster, N.Y.). Age: 23. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Merrimack (NCAA)/Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Kevin Lynch (6-1, 205, Grosse Pointe, Mich.). Age: 25. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Florida Everblades (ECHL)
- Cody Sharib (6-2, 209, Needham, Mass). Age: 25. Shoots: L. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Matt Stanisz (6-1, 205, Burlington, Ont.). Age: 26. Shoots: R. 2015-16 team: Florida Everblades (ECHL)
- Keegan Asmundson (6-5, 222, Inver Grove Heights, Minn.). Age: 25. Catches: L. 2015-16 team: Indy Fuel (ECHL)
- Terry Shafer (6-2, 190, Penfield, NY). Age: 25. Catches: L. 2015-16 team: Robert Morris (NCAA)/Indy Fuel (ECHL)
2015-16 end-of-season roster players who have signed elsewhere/been traded
- Anders Franzon (Sheffield, Britain); Patrick Koudys (Rouen, France); Matt White (Sheffield, Britain); Rhett Bly (Grenoble, France); Peter Schneider (Florida Everblades); Kevin Clare (Florida Everblades)
2015-16 end-of-season roster players whose plans have yet to be announced (players with qualifying offers are denoted)
- Michael Colantone (QO), Rob De Fulviis, Darian Dziurzynski (QO), Alex Lavoie (QO), Colin Murray, Mikhail Stefanovich (QO), Trevor Campbell, Ben Marshall (QO), Nick Petrecki (QO)