The Indy Fuel had one of their best defensive outings of the year on Thanksgiving night in Fort Wayne, but dropped a 2-1 decision in the shootout.
Robert Czarnik scored his ninth goal of the season, assisted by Nick Bruneteau and Jamie Wise — who had just been activated from the injured list and would later be called up to AHL Rockford. That goal came midway through the third and tied the game.
The Fuel dominated the third, outshooting Fort Wayne 13-6, in getting the tying goal. Garrett Maurs scored in the second to give Fort Wayne a 1-0 lead.
In the shootout, Fort Wayne’s Eric Faille and Shawn Szydlowski each scored. The Fuel were 1-for-5, with Czarnik providing the tally against Pat Nagle. Mac Carruth made 32 saves in the Fuel net.
The Fuel are now 3-8-4 on the season and now head back home for five games.
- Pat Nagle (FTW) 28 saves, win
- Mac Carruth (Fuel) 32 saves, 1 GA
- Garrett Maurs (FTW) goal
- A really solid defensive game for the Fuel, who made some moves this week to try to address their goals allowed.
- The Fuel won the third period and battled from behind to get a point. They outshot the Komets 13-6 and scored the lone goal.
- Carruth returned and played his best game as a member of the Fuel, with 32 saves.
- Indy only gave Fort Wayne one power play, and killed it. The Fuel were 0-for-2 with the man advantage. Indy is the least penalized team in the ECHL.
- Czarnik continues his scoring touch. He now has nine goals.
Next up: Five straight home games over the next week and a half, starting with Friday & Saturday games vs. Cincinnati.