The Fuel headed to Reading for a two-game road weekend and had a great start — but the Royals rallied for four third-period goals to beat the Fuel 4-3.
Defenseman Kirill Gotovets scored twice to help stake the Fuel to a 3-0 lead after two, but Reading got goals from Maxim Lamarche, Pat Mullane, Adam Comrie and Olivier Labelle to rally and steal the victory. Mullane and Comrie’s goals came on the power play, and Labelle gave the Royals the win with 2:42 left.
The second period was good for the Fuel — Gotovets got the scoring started at 8:51. Justin Holl and Gotovets scored two goals 3:38 apart late in the period — both assisted by Robert Czarnik — to make it a 3-0 game.
Cody Reichard stopped 32 shots for the Fuel in the loss. Indy is now 3-7-3
- Olivier Labelle (REA) GWG
- Adam Comrie (REA) GTG, 6 shots
- Zach Davies (REA) 2 assists
- Third periods and one-goal games continue to be unkind to the Fuel, who had a tough finish. The Fuel are now 2-3-3 in one-goal games.
- The PK has been pretty good to the Fuel of late, but Reading was 2-6 on the PP, with both goals coming in the third. Indy was 0-3 with the man advantage.
- Gotovets is a talented and versatile defenseman, and it showed in this game, as he scored both of his goals playing a forward position. With the Fuel being hit with the injury bug up front, they’ve been dressing seven D and playing one up front. His second goal came 16 seconds after he came out of the penalty box.
- Gotovets and Holl both scored their first goals.
- The Fuel are slowly getting players back from injury. Jamie Wise returned to the lineup and had a shot on goal. Sean Bonar was activated from IR and dressed as the backup goaltender.
Lines are approximate and are as best as can be derived from the boxscore
Mike Duco-Matt White-Garrett Klotz
Robert Czarnik-Rhett Bly-Jamie Wise
Garett Bembridge-Patrick Cullen-Kirill Gotovets
Mathieu Brisebois-Nick Bruneteau
Dillon Fournier-Justin Holl
Anders Franzon-Nick Jones
Next up: The back-to-back continues Sunday in Reading.