Time for a final preseason link roundup. At this time next week, the Indy Fuel will be playing their first exhibition games in Alaska, we’ll be on the eve of the NHL regular season, and hockey will be right around the corner.
- ICYMI, we had a post on Monday (and updated it today) looking at the rosters of the Blackhawks, AHL Rockford IceHogs and the ECHL Indy Fuel. No predictions on who goes where.
- The Fuel added the 15th player to their roster last week, inking forward Robert Czarnik, a former 3rd-round NHL draft pick who has AHL experience in the Kings and Canadiens’ systems.
- The AHL Rockford IceHogs are in training camp this week – with four current Fuel players and a few that will likely end up on the roster. Here are the wrapups from Day 1 (video from coach Ted Dent and players Mark McNeill and Jamie Wise) and Day 2 (video from coach Ted Dent and players Alex Broadhurst, Stephen Johns and Viktor Svedberg). Rockford plays its first preseason game Thursday. The Fuel players in the Rockford camp are Garrett Klotz, Brett Perlini, Klarc Wilson and Nick Bruneateau. It’s Wilson’s second AHL/NHL camp this fall – he also participated in the Canucks’ rookie camp. The Hockey News’ transaction list also notes that Fuel signees Kenton Miller (Manchester) and Robert Czarnik (St. John’s) will be in AHL camps.
- The ECHL’s Stockton Thunder are for sale, with the owner planning to sell to a successor who will keep the team in Stockton.
- Former Ice defenseman Torey Krug has re-signed with the Boston Bruins, inking a one-year, $1.5 million deal. The All-Rookie defenseman had 40 points with the B’s last year, and was the team’s leading scorer with 10 points in the playoffs. The Boston Herald story has the basics. Krug tells NESN he wants to be in Boston for as long as he can. THN compares Krug’s situation with that of unsigned Blue Jackets star Ryan Johansen.
- Former Ice forward T.J. Syner has signed with the ECHL’s Utah Grizzlies. Syner played for ECHL Reading and AHL Hershey last season.
- Will Aide has signed with the SPHL Columbus Cottonmouths.
- Among former Ice players in NHL camps, several have been sent to the AHL – Daniil Tarasov (SJ), Nic Dowd (LA), Scott Darling (CHI), Anthony Bitetto (NAS), Paul Carey (COL), Brian Ferlin (BOS), Kevin Goumas (PHI) Stanislav Galiev (WAS) and Cameron Schilling (WAS). Schilling recently signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Caps. Adam Erne (TB) was returned to his QMJHL team in Quebec, Ryan Mantha (NYR) returned to Niagara. Rinat Valiev (TOR) was returned to his WHL team in Kootenay. Indy-area native Zach Trotman (BOS) was also sent to the AHL.
- Also, Sean Dolan has a PTO agreement with Chicago (AHL) according to the THN transaction list.
- Former Ice D Vince Pedrie scored the winning goal to give the USHL Bloomington Thunder their first-ever franchise win.
- Jeff Blashill, the former Calder Cup (and Clark Cup) champion and reigning AHL Coach of the Year, is adjusting to having a new coaching staff in Grand Rapids.
Elsewhere in hockey
- Those of us who have enjoyed hockey at Bankers Life Fieldhouse – an NBA arena where the seats are built around a 94-foot basketball floor, not a 200-foot hockey rink – can’t be shocked at the reports of obstructed-view seats at the soon-to-be Isles new home, the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Like the Fieldhouse (and the Phoenix arena that was the Coyotes’ first home), it’s a basketball-first facility. That said, the off-center scoreboard and the rink’s obstructed views have brought about more than a few complaints.