We had a bit of a hiatus as we were doing the big rookie camp roundup last week, but a few items of interest in this week’s link roundup:
- The Fuel announced the Oct. 12 exhibition game against Evansville will be the Fuel Family Fun Day, with an autograph session and postgame skate among the activities.
- The Chicago Blackhawks have begun camp, and had more than 50 players in camp to start. Before Tuesday’s preseason game against Detroit, a 2-1 Hawks victory, the Blackhawks assigned goaltenders Kent Simpson and Mac Carruth to Rockford, and released forward Ryan Schnell and defensemen Kirill Gotovets, Justin Holl and Zach Miskovic. They will also report to AHL Rockford. The Blackhawks have six goaltenders – Corey Crawford and Antti Raanta (likely the NHL goaltenders), veteran Michael Leighton, former Indiana Ice goaltender Scott Darling (who had a shutout period in Tuesday’s preseason game and got the win), and Simpson/Carruth. Two of those will likely be the opening-night goalies for the Fuel. Expect 6-8 people from the Hawks system to come to the Fuel to start the year. Here is the updated Blackhawks roster.
- The ECHL announced some rules changes, which largely align with new NHL rules. The trapezoid gets wider, players who lose their helmets must put them back on or go directly to the bench, and there are some changes to hurry up faceoffs after icing.
- Affiliation news. Cincinnati renewed its affiliation with the Florida Panthers. It had earlier announced a renewal with its other NHL affiliate, Nashville. And Gwinnett has renewed its affilation with the Arizona Coyotes.
- There have been reports of a meeting between CHL & ECHL officials regarding a potential merger last week. But the Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette’s Justin Cohn shares my view: Believe something when you see it from actual verified sources.
- Ice owner Paul Skjodt has an option on land near the I-465/Michigan Road interchange, and it could be the site for a new 4,800-seat arena. That would be a part of a multi-rink, multi-sport complex that could open in 2016. Story, release & links to other media coverage here.
- Ice alumni continue to sign pro deals. Tristin Llewellyn signed with the ECHL’s Gwinnett Gladiators.
- Adam Erne (TB) and Anthony Bitetto (NAS) played against each other on Tuesday. Each had a pair of shots.
- Nic Dowd scored a goal for the Kings on Monday night against the Coyotes.
- Torey Krug is still unsigned, but his role with the Bruins is being projected as the two sides try to come to terms. Expect it to be similar to last year’s 40-point season — third-pairing left-side defenseman who quarterbacks the power play.
- Among other players in NHL camps: Indy natives Zach Trotman (BOS) & Jack Johnson (CBJ), Ice alumni Brian Ferlin (BOS), Nic Dowd (LA), Sean Kuraly & Daniil Tarasov (SJ), Stainslav Galiev, Cody Reichard, Cameron Schilling & John Carlson (WAS) & Paul Carey (COL). Schilling is also an Indy-area native, hailing from Carmel.
- Robert Morris University has a Q&A with its goalies, including Dalton Izyk. Michigan Tech has a meet-the-freshmen segment including Matt Roy.
Also in hockey
- We know the Blackhawks will visit the Washington Capitals for the 2015 Winter Classic. The Capitals are going with a sweet red fauxback that highlights the Washington Senators’ old “W” logo. Long live Walter Johnson. The Blackhawks uniforms will soon be released. The game will be played at Nationals Park.
- Ryan Suter talks about his father, Bob Suter, who passed away recently. Bob was a member of the 1980 U.S. Olympic Team and continued to be a big part of the game.
- We’ve seen some, ahem, interesting uniforms in our time, especially going back to Ray Compton’s days with the Ice (the pink Valentine’s Day uniforms with the red hearts take the cake, though). But we’ve never seen anything like this.
- It appears we won’t have to wait until 2018 to see a best-on-best tourney. The World Cup of Hockey could return as soon as 2016 as an eight-team tournament, likely to be played in one Canadian city. According to the linked Yahoo story, NHLPA director (and Indiana University grad) Donald Fehr notified the IIHF the tournament is slated for September 2016.
- We saw a lot of Jack Eichel a lot last year. Expect to hear a lot about he and Connor McDavid this year. They’re the top 2 prospects in the 2015 draft.
- Anyone who’s around here a lot knows I’m a big fan of Sean McIndoe (aka “Down Goes Brown”) and his work. His comedy is great, but his serious hockey posts are also pretty good. Here are his 5 “New Year’s Resolutions” for the NHL.
- A minigolf aficionado like me can’t let this story slide.