The Chicago Blackhawks are holding their training camp at the University of Notre Dame. With 52 players invited, some players who will become the Hawks’ assignees to the Indy Fuel have been on display. As camp breaks, the Hawks will begin assigning players to AHL Rockford, and from there, to the Fuel, over the next couple of weeks. The Fuel opener is Oct. 17 — the ECHL season opens nine days after the NHL year does to allow time for the parent clubs to send players to their AHL and ECHL affiliates.
The team heads to Chicago on Monday night for the training camp festival scrimmage at the United Center. The first exhibition game is Tuesday at the United Center against Detroit.
Day 3 (Sunday)
- ESPN Chicago has a notebook covering the day’s events including the goal-scorers from the scrimmage (Nordstrom x2, Sharp, Toews, Saad, Hjalmarsson, Clendening, Cumiskey, Versteeg, McNeill, Ross, Danault).
- NBC Chicago takes a look at 3 things learned from camp, including the possibility of Brandon Mashinter making the team (and star prospect Teuvo Teravainen starting the year in Rockford).
Day 2 (Saturday)
- Scott Powers’ ESPN Chicago notebook has a lot of notes, including notes on likely system players Stephen Johns, Ryan Hartman, Mark McNeill, Matt Carey and all of the goaltenders — Mac Carruth, Kent Simpson, Michael Leighton and Scott Darling (as well as the NHL goaltenders Crawford and Raanta).
- Blackhawk Up has some video with several potential Rockford/Indy players noted. Teravainen had the impressive goal of the day (and also suffered an upper body injury). Philip Danault’s leadership, Cam Barker’s big hit on Teravainen and Mashinter’s feistiness are also mentioned. Mashinter also gets mention on the official site.
- The Hawks’ official website has highlights as the “future” is on display.
Day 1 (Friday)
- Second City Hockey and Blackhawk Up (as well as the Daily Herald) look at a few storylines involving NHL players
- The full training camp roster is at the bottom of this Chicago Tribune notebook and on the official team website. Especially look at the defensemen & goaltenders for potential Fuel players.
- The Blackhawks’ salary cap issues (currently $1.4 million over the cap) will require a move before opening night, which will affect the depth chart.
- The site of the camp, Notre Dame’s Compton Family Ice Arena, was a hit with the team